Mauricio ‘Shogun’ Rua
- 21-7 MMA / 5-5 UFC Record
- Lost 2 of Last 3 Fights
- Notable Wins: Lyoto Machida, Forrest Griffin, Brandon Vera
Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
- 21-5 MMA / 4-2 UFC Record
- 2 Fight Win Streak
- Notable Wins: Alistair Overeem (x2), Dan Henderson, Rashad Evans
- 29-9 MMA / 6-3 UFC Record
- Won 4 of Last 5 Fights
- Notable Wins: Wanderlei Silva, Fedor Emilianenko, Maurico ‘Shogun’ Rua
- 17-3-1 MMA / 12-3-1 UFC Record
- 2 Fight Losing Streak
- Notable Wins: Forrest Griffin, Quinton Jackson, Phil Davis
June 15th, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Mauricio ‘Shogun’ Rua lost for the second time in three fights at UFC on FOX 5, dropping a unanimous decision to rising contender Alexander Gustafsson. A fourth round TKO victory over Brandon Vera at UFC on FOX 4, put Shogun back on the winning track after losing a unanimous decision to Dan Henderson back in November of 2011, which is widely considered one of the greatest fights in MMA history.
Antonio Rogerio Nogueira put himself back in the top echelon of the UFC’s light heavyweight division with an upset win over Rashad Evans at UFC 156. The win was his second in a row, including a first round TKO victory over Tito Ortiz.
Dan Henderson lost his chance at Jon Jones and the UFC light heavyweight title, dropping a fairly uneventful split decision to Lyoto Machida at UFC 157. The loss snapped a four-fight win streak, including victories over Fedor Emelianenko, Rafael ‘Fejao’ Cavalcante, and Mauricio ‘Shogun’ Rua.
Rashad Evans needs a win to stay relevant among the elite in the 205-pound division following two straight decision losses to champion Jon Jones and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira. Evans earned a chance to regain his title in April of last year, following four straight victories in the octagon, including wins over Quinton ‘Rampage’ Jackson, Phil Davis, and Tito Ortiz.